Despite reports funded but Government, academic institutions and professional psychologists, decrying learning styles theory, and VAK in particular, it persists across the learning world, promulgated by poor teacher training and ‘train the trainer’ courses. It would not be far wrong to describe it as a theoretical virus that has infected education and training on a global scale, kept alive by companies peddling CPD to teachers. Its appeal is clearly in the intuitive appeal that learners are different, which is certainly true but there appears to be little evidence to support the idea that they can be put into these simple boxes. Learning professionals certainly need to understand the considerable differences between learners but the debate seems to have fossilised around this caricature of a theory.
On Learning Styles
- Stop the fragmentation of research if you want to tackle complex problems 21.11.2014
- Teacher bureaucratization 09.09.2014
- Sunday Morning 11 AM 27.04.2014
- About Sensemaking Approaches 11.04.2014
- More negativity for the New Year! 30.12.2013
- Ut med Sansa Express, in med Zoom H2 30.12.2007
- Thinking of quitting FaceBook 29.06.2011
- Kunskaparna.net 26.07.2007
- Idédräparmanual 20.03.2007
- Elgg 1.0 är här 19.08.2008
- Quadrocopters: The hexacoptors are creating a reliable and robust...
- Romi: Yeah, I guess one should follow privacy tips like ...
- Sean Vernall: I too like the idea that everything can be in one ...
- Romi: Hi, thanks for commenting! Diaspora is still in al...
- Sean Vernall: I have also been thinking about quitting facebook,...